Thursday, September 30, 2004

If you've been traveling on the MRT lately, I'm quite sure you might have seen this advertisement showing on the SMRT media mobile screen, promote Healthy Lifestyle in Singapore.

It goes something like this. The first shot is a close-up of our infamous Singapore icon Zoe Tay, and she was approaching a lift. Apparantly, she was going to press the button. But the next thing you know... a smile spreaded over her face (completed with the 'ah-ha'!! look) and she went to the stairs next to the lift instead.

Next shot, the camera pulled away and showed her climbing up the stairs happily, donned in high heels and a flowing skirt. It was still quite normal till this point when she started climbing up and down the same few steps to emphasize her happiness over CLIMBING A STAIRCASE. She did a dramatic twirling at the landing and went up the next flight of steps, with some energetic and jumpy steps. Finally, these wordings appeared "Fit health into your life right now.. Exercise and eat right."

You may find that I'm quite weird today, spending time blogging about an advert, but guess what? It redefined my idea of a 'dumb advertisement' and brought the meaning to a greater heights. Woah...Incredible.. I was trying hard not to laugh out loud when I first saw it. The whole idea of the advert from my understanding was that: we can look as glam as Zoe and get some exercise done at the same time. Right!! But my point is, who in the world in her right mind will think of climbing up stairs looking so ecstatic in high heels? Obviously that person will end up with a sprain ankle. *Ouch* Try coming to NIE and climb up the many flights of stairs FOC here, without panting, gasping for air under the hot sun?? Impossible!! Looking as glam as Zoe Tay? I felt that the whole advert had made her an equal with 许纯美 instead. Opps, getting real cynical here.

Haiz.. probably I'm just irritated and tired as I watched the same advert on SMRT mobile TV for the whole journey from Bishan and Boon Lay this evening (happened to forget my mp3 player today), and it was the most unfortunate! Everyone knows that whatever is showing up there will be playing all over and over and over and over again.. Every 10 seconds or so I looked up, there she is climbing stairs. Arggghh.. I was quite amused initially, but I found myself scrowling at the screen eventually. Can't they just play something decent on those mobile screens, since the technology has been invented? After all I had paid for the MRT ride, at least they can get better entertainment.

I found myself at a moral dilemma, either I break the screen of the TV or I get myself crazy. Yeah right, healthy lifestyle indeed. 不把我逼疯才怪! I forced myself to divert my eyes to the passengers stoning opposite me, and the wonderful scenery outside. I was so glad when the train finally pulled in at Jurong East. Stepping happily into the train heading to Boon Lay with a heave of relief, I looked up and Zoe was there again!! Help!!

End of blog. It's a very abrupt ending but do forgive me. The people downstairs are making a din right now, time for block supper!! Yummy food, here I come.. =)

No comments: