Friday, January 24, 2003

Sigh..the interview was rather dejecting. I arrived at the place early, and waited for almost 45 minutes before it was my turn. Saw one guy I knew there, and another girl whom I didn't know but nonetheless, we were chatting away before the interview to keep the butterflies away and since we were kind of like 'in the same boat'. I was thinking that the qns must be quite tough, as they came out looking rather sullen and went off without saying anything about the interview qns. Then I knew how it was liked when I stepped inside. There was a panel of four, they looked quite old and 'experienced'. The first guy who spoke was rather friendly so it wasn't too bad, and the first few qns was what I had prepared, things like why I'm so enthusiastic about becoming a teacher (they knew that I applied a few times), and of course why I did not do-so-well for my Higher Chinese during A levels. Oh well! They really dig out all my history in the past 21 years and the mistakes which I had ever made in my life. Some of which I really think I didn't know how to answer, like why I'm not majoring in teaching subjects now. Of course lah.. if they fail me there and I'm not becoming a teacher, I would be dead if I'm really majoring in teaching subjects. So it's sort of like a safer option, but I didn't really tell them that. There was this 'auntie' that looked like the perfect person to act in the Chinese 封建时代 drama as the horrible mother-in-law, she's actually wearing a cheongsum during the interview and didn't smile at all (just like the 'bulldog'!), and I was imagining myself as a old hag like her thirty-years down the road. I guess the worse qns was the one which they asked me to name some 当代文学作家和作品。And I really stunned. I was rambling around my brain trying to dig out a few names, but I really can't think of any, and almost said 周杰伦 and 陶吉吉。That was really the only names I could really think of but luckily I stopped myself in time, if not they would really flipped. I did mention that I read some books now and now, like 金庸,亦舒 which were currently the only chinese books that I'm reading. But other than those, can't think of anymore names decent enough to mention. I'm also reading other chinese novels but think they will probably classified them as trashy books. So.. really unlucky. But personally, I think it's not that impt as a primary school chinese teacher to know so much about literary works as the kids will probably be stunned if you mention all these to them. Well, of course the tradition Chinese teachers that I know of from my primary and secondary school days are really more of the fans of the chinese literature. I had been trying hard to remember some of the stuff that I was supposed to learn, but realised I've returned most of it to my teachers. I can't even remember if 曹雪芹 was a male or female writer now..hahaa.. So, I think I'm rather unsuccessful at it this time, and this will really be the last time I'll apply to teach.

No comments: