Tuesday, April 13, 2004

A tribute to the teachers

Okay, I'm in the blogging mood again, I picked up a book called "Cher, cher!" written by a very inspired teacher. Yep, no prizes for guessing why the name is so weird, cher cher..its the Singaporean kids' way of calling their teacher. Eh, very innovative right? I will slap the kid if he/she ever call me that..

And yah, in the book.. I found something interesting written by the author, its the "Top 20 ways to identify a teacher"... from thousands of miles away. Well, personally I find that the list erm.. rather UNflattering and outdated, heee hee..meant to humour people I guess. Nevertheless, let's just share with you. Spot the teacher contest! (Note: the words in italic are my personal comments, and I'm not targeting the comments at my colleagues in my current school. Ha!)

1. Dress Drowdily (no time to go shopping; no fashion sense; can't be bothered.)
Well, it's true to a certain extent, especially since the only people teachers meet day in and out are probably their students, the latest fashion statement never change in their eyes, as anyone they ever meet is in uniform all the time. What can be uglier? But I must say, the fashion sense only deteriorate when the teachers is OLDER than 30, probably married. Most of the younger teachers still go to school like it's a fashion parade.

2. Does not put on make up (no time to put on; what for; can't be bothered)
Hmm.. I haven't been to school without my makeup yet. But it's seems that not all teachers can be bothered with makeup, especially if they're at the auntie age.. Yah, what for lah?? Don't even have time to sleep leh. Well, I will try my best to uphold the image of a pretty teacher, thank you very much. I just don't want to be mistaken for a student actually.

3.Wear flatties (can run faster to catch naughty kids; already taller than many around.)
Well..well..I have to disagree to this. I have the habit of trying to spot teachers on MRT trains or other public places, and I think the best way is to look at their shoes. Slip-on heels are really the 'IN' thing now, and only teachers will be bothered to wear those heels which are covered or have a strap behind. Just look out for the straps around the ankles! I'm so addicted to find more pairs of shoes that I'm looking out for the straps whenever I go into a 'Charles and Keith'. Yep, and of course, the aunties are in the flatties lah.. those very comfortable types for standing up for a long time. I think shoes really pose a big problem for me, as I'm not very much taller than my students. Thus the option I have is to wear heels, and have to find those comfortable enough for me to stand on my feet for at least 4 hours a day.

4. Keep fingernails short (just in case need to pinch;won't collect chalk dust or dirt under nails.)
Hahaha...this is definitely out, we use white board with markers nowadays. But I haven't conduct any nail check for teachers yet, so not sure about the exact length of fingernails they keep.

5. Does not use nail polish (no nails to polish; save money;no time)
Ohh...this is definitely not for me. Did I tell you about my pedicures? They're really enjoyable sessions for me, to e served and pampered at the salon. I've already spent more than $100 on pedicures this year..

6. Likes to pick out errors in print (out of habit from marking so many scripts)
Hmm..no comments about this. This occupational hazard haven't hit me yet.

7. Likes to point out others' mistakes (out of habit from doing it on a daily basis.)
Yah..When you see me, always put up your hand when you want to speak to me.. Or else..

8. Likes to correct others' speech, behaviour etc (out of habit from doing it on a daily basis at least 40 times.)
No...this is not right. I do it for at least 40, 000 times a day.

9. Likes to talk down to others (physically taller than most; thinks she knows it all- out of habit from doing it daily.)
Yep, the only place that I can talk down to people is at work. And this only applies to my P1 and half of P4 classes. Of course I know it all. Who knows better than me? In the class I mean..=P

10. Likes to say "Do you understand?" (yah, do you understand?!)

Hmm.. okay, the list ends here for tonight, know that it's supposed to be the "top 20 ways of identifying a teacher" so will be back to update the list when I'm free again. By the way, I have one more point to add. Teachers can't stay up late so this is another way of identifying one! They need lots of sleep to handle monkeys everyday.

No comments: