Saturday, November 26, 2022

Winter Europe Trip 26-27th November 2022 (Sat) Day 0

I woke up early this morning at 7am and watched Netflix while waiting for my manicure appointment. After getting my Xmas design nails done, I got some medications from Guardian and went home. I slowly ate lunch and took a nap before I started packing at 3pm. After I woke up from the nap, it was the start of everything going haywire. 

Last minute packing had always been my thing but I was shocked to realise I couldnt find my precious two Northface down jackets. I had gotten those when I went US in 2011 so they had accompanied me to many places in Japan Europe and US. I had assumed that they were hanging in my wardrobe but apparently they werent and probably they are still at our rented storage. We actually went to the storage to get our winter stuff a few weeks ago but strangely I did not notice my jackets there. It's quite sad as the gloves and beanie that I've been using for more than 10 years are also missing, my guess is they're all still at the storage. Anyway, we were in a panic mode as P suggested we go to the storage to get those before going to the airport. However, I took 2 hours to finish packing and get things done at home so I decided to just give up and get new ones at the airport or Oslo. While preparing for the trip, I was a bit worried about the cold, so I was also planning of getting new coats at Norway as those would be more suited for the climate there. I just need to survive the trip from airport to hotel and hopefully I can find something before I freeze to death in Norway.

Iconic laksa at SAT lounge

(Part two update now as I'm waiting for next flight at BKK)

The other boo-boo that happened was I kept thinking our flight is at 8pm, so we had to get to the airport by 6pm. However, we reached the airport and we saw there were only early check in counters for our flight to BKK at 9pm. I was confused for awhile but I realised I read or remembered the time wrongly. Luckily for us, the counters were opened and my boo boo turned out to be a blessing in disguise as the lines quickly got long after we finished checked in. Our check in process is more complicating as we requested the staff to get our luggages interlined with Qatar Airways and to go all the way to Oslo, P had to show his visa and our itinerary is also complicating so it took the staff quite awhile to verify. We were glad they could do it so that we do not need to go through immigration at BKK. 

Flight on Thai Airways was not bad

All boarding passes printed under Thai Airways 

There was a Uniqlo at the airport and we had plenty of time, I took the chance and did not get my down jacket from there as it cost more than $200SGD and I'm hoping I can find better and cheaper ones in Norway. Surprisingly, there are no other shops selling winter stuff at the airport. We wanted to get some 3-in-1 coffee sachets for P's family in UK but we couldnt find them at the airport too. P went to heartland mall while I was frantically packing but he could not find the ones he was looking for at Cold Storage. After looking around, we had quite a bit of time so we went to SAT lounge at Terminal 1, a place I'm getting really familiar with. We started walking to the gate at 8pm and there was a really long queue outside the gate. The flight to BKK was not too bad and not too full, it was 10++ when we got to BKK (I only watched half a movie) so we got an hour to spend at the lounge before getting on our next flight. 

The first lounge we saw nearest to the gate

Designated Qatar Lounge at BKK airport

Food is nice but I'm already full so just tasting a little

The queue to clear security check for those transiting is considered quite short, we found the gate we were supposed to be at and headed to the nearest lounge. The staff were confused initially as we're taking Qatar biz but those are printed on Thai Airways boarding passes. The miracle lounges looked nice but it was quite crowded inside, the staff who assisted us was really helpful and she told us there is a Qatar lounge in the airport, she even showed us the location on the map. I heard so many good things about the Qatar lounge in SG Changi airport so we decided its always good to try out the designated flagship lounges instead of those serving a few airlines. It was quite a long walk as we were already at the C gates area and the lounge is 15min walk away at the D area. 

Qatar lounge is really quieter and the food is of good quality, there are dining tables all set up for people having dinner but once again we felt so full so we only took some food for tasting. I'm looking forward to see the lounge at Doha later as I'm sure it will be just as good or even better, I also hope to take a shower there. We wanted to start walking to the gate 15 min before the time stated on the boarding pass, but the staff informed us that the whole lounge are waiting for the same flight and they will let us know when it is time to board. That was really a nice touch. 

(Part three update now as I'm waiting for next flight at Doha, 4hr transit!)


P and I were excited as it’s our first A380 flight and its in biz class. On top of that, we’ve paid $3k each to be on this flight (should be cheaper if booked earlier). First thoughts after entering the aircraft were there were quite a number of passengers in biz (4 pax across and I think at least 15 rows) and that it was hardly noticeable we went up to the second level of the aircraft. When boarding, we just went to a different “path” from the cattle class, it was a bit steeper and we ended up on the second level meant for all first and biz class passengers. Other than that, I didn’t notice any stairs leading to the level 1 or it could be hidden somewhere. We can’t help comparing the experience with SQ as it’s still our favourite biz class experience (having taken JAL, TK and SQ before this). Amenities wise, QR really wowed us as the TV screen was big and the blanket was thick and fluffy. 

Big TV screen

Many items were Qatar World Cup 2022 souvenirs

There were many biz passengers on the flight

When we booked the tickets, we just wanted to find our way to Oslo and had no idea we are transiting in Qatar during the World Cup season. Other than the usual amenities bag, the cabin crew also passed us a set of pyjamas and slippers to change into. I saw some passengers changed into it before takeoff and I did the same just for the fun of it, it was very comfortable and helped me relax and fall into sleep so that was a nice souvenir from the flight. We also explored the lounge and bar behind the aircraft after takeoff as it’s the first time we’re in a biz class with such lounge onboard, it is convenient for a couple with a baby as they could go to the sofa and lounge around when the baby couldn’t stay in the seat for long. 

Changed to Qatar boarding pass at BKK


Enjoyed classic and rose champagne 

Woke up for breakfast 2 hours before landing

My breakfast main

P took a candid photo of me on our way to Qatar


As we're so full from all the food in the lounges, I declined having anything to eat other than some crips and champagne, then tried to get myself to sleep after takeoff. I'm being bias but I would say Qatar up the game in their amenities but I still prefer the "software" of my first love SQ, the services of Qatar crew are really good but they are mostly a international mix compared to the Singaporean accent that is close to my heart spoken by most the SQ crew. I also prefer the IFE onboard SQ flights and the exclusivity and the privacy of the biz class onboard SQ. 

Anyway, I browse through the IFE on the A380 flight but did not find anything I really wanted to watch, they do have Jay Chou's latest album which was the godsend and got me into lala land soon enough. I think I slept for about 2 hours before I woke up to go to the washroom. Soon after, breakfast was served and I noted that the taste of the food is mediocre although the plating, bread and condiments are nicely presented. We reached Doha airport which was really vibrant at 4am due to the World Cup and headed to the El Mourjan lounge (the Qatar Airways flagship lounge on their homeground) to rest. 




No comments: