Friday, September 02, 2005

Teachers' Day Dinner at Mandarin

Do not be mistaken, the following photos were not taken during my secondary school days but last night at the Teachers' Day dinner. The theme was.. 'Back to School Days' and many teachers went to the dinner dressed up in their school uniforms.

I managed to dig out my secondary school uniform as well, and joined in the fun. It was really very interesting seeing teachers dressing up as students and I really felt like it was back to school days, during our first 3 mths in JC. I was quite skeptical at first, as it had been such a long time since I last wore my “红字“ (what we call our Nanyang uniform) and it really felt weird intially, but it really turned out to be a good theme for a dinner like this. Kudos to my mum who had kept my secondary and JC uniforms in perfect condition, and thankfully, I can still fit into it!!



Me and another Chinese teacher also known as Peiling. Posted by Picasa


Me with other colleagues from convent Posted by Picasa

I would say I enjoyed the dinner with my colleagues tremendously, it was a huge gathering as there were staff from all the six schools and there were games as well as cheer competitions played between the schools. There was one particular school which was really onz as a lot of the young teachers dressed up as ah lians in their school uniform, completed with colourful hair, super short skirts and tatoos on their faces and arms. I almost mistook them for the real Ah Lians walking along the Orchard Road downstairs. Comparatively, the teachers from my school were much more decent. =)

My colleagues and I were sitting around talking about the good old days when we would do modifications to our school uniforms to look more 'outstanding'. Stunts used during those days include folding our skirts so that it looks shorter after the morning assembly, pulling up our socks so that it almost reaches our knees (it was the ah lian fashion during those times) and trying not to be caught with forbidden items like the pager. And my school was exceptionally strict then, the no. of rules that we had to adhere to was so many that our student handbook became as thick as the dictionary. No kidding!

We also noticed that most people turned up in their secondary school uniforms rather than their JC ones. I think for most of us, it was really during that phase of life when school life played an sigificant role in our identity. I still missed the good old days from time to time, when we had an unique school uniform, outstanding school name that we could identify with.

No comments: