Wednesday, April 27, 2005

A meeting in "Shape"

Currently, I’m switching between blogging and doing my lastest report for this semester, and probably for the whole of my career as a trainee. Yeah, lastest.. that’s the word for ‘very very very final one’ in case you haven’t noticed. This afternoon, I’ve also done up my lastest lesson plan for the whole of my practicum life. How I love this word, lastest! Well, that is if I’ve passed my practicum successfully. Hmm..


Anyway, if you haven’t realized, I’m typing my report in Chinese as my reports and lesson plans are all supposed to be in Chinese, so pardon me if I sound incoherent. But I’m still blogging on as I realized that you guys must be sick of clicking on my page and seeing the same old story about my trip to JB weeks ago. So here I am, to update my blog again, finally!

Last Wednesday, I rushed all the way down to East Coast to attend a short ‘interview’ with the editor of Shape magazine. Well, if you haven’t heard of this magazine, so did I, thus it was embarrassing when the editor Elisabeth asked me to give her feedback about how the magazine was doing. But anyway, right after the interview, I picked up a copy and it wasn't not too bad to speak the truth, just a bit too expensive and targeted readers are working young women who are into sports and health issues, or maybe for those who are health conscious.

Well, back to the interview now. I wouldn’t call it an interview but rather, just a chatting session with the editor who wanted to find out more about young working women who are into seasports (before they decide to do a feature about it). Thus you guys do not have to rush to the newsstand to get hold of a copy of the magazine yet, as we may not be featured after all. I actually rushed all the way from Yishun (my workplace) to East Coast to attend the meet-up with the editor after being ‘arrowed’ by our club manager. Yeah, I’m actually into clubbing.. seasports club to be exact. Hahaa.. There were five of us being assigned the task of answering questions, three of us doing kayaking and two other windsurfers. Turned out that the editor and the writer of the magazine were more than mesmerized by the ladies who are doing windsurfing, as that’s a sport more suitable for their target audience. I have to admit: kayaking is more for adolescents and doesn’t require as much techniques from the layman's point of view. But the session didn’t go to waste as I had a go on the windsurfing simulator and I’m quite inclined to pick up the sport too. The editor asked each of us about how long we had been into the sport and it made me realized that I had actually been into it for 6, 7 years. Wow, that’s a really long time spent on the sea. And to think of it, quite a lot of UV rays absorbed too.

In the past year, I had kept myself away from such activities due to workload in school. But the past few months during practicum had gave me more free time during weekends, so I was more active. I’ve met some people recently who were ‘mistaken’:

They: Hi, you’re the new teacher. What do you teach?
Me: Mother tongue.
They: Oh, Malay??
Me: Erm, actually I meant Chinese.
They (bewildered): Oh, sorry. I see.
Me: …

No comments: