Sunday, March 08, 2015

Race Review: Venus Run 2015

In operation really early
This is the second time I'm taking part in Venus Run, the first time being in 2014. The two editions of the run are very different, with the 2014 run started in the evening at Marina Barrage and today's run started at Gardens by the Bay East in the morning. Interestingly for both years, the run falls on 8th of March itself, as the race is organised to commemorate International Women's Day.

I woke up at my normal weekday waking time to prepare for the run, and I managed to get out of the house by 6am. The run have a late start time (8am) as compared to other races but it was just a short 5km so I guess it was planned that way. Without taking a cab, it was not easy getting to the start point and this is the first time I'm attending a race which started at Gardens by the Bay East. It is a very familiar race route but normally I only get to that part in the middle of the race. Thankfully, the organiser provided shuttle bus service from Stadium MRT station in the morning, so I managed to reach race site comfortably before 7.20am.

Grabbed a bowl of cereal before the race

I had gradually gotten use to just running with just a SPI belt with contents like my spare iPhone, EZ link card, some cash and a debit/atm card. This saved me the trouble of queueing for baggage deposit and looking for one during my training runs. It was still considered early so I noticed that there was only a short queue at the baggage deposit tentage. The Finesse cereal booth was already in operation so I queued to get a short cup of cereals. After I finished it, I proceed to get ready at the start line.


Just like last year's GE run, I noted that ladies runners are less competitive in nature and nobody really rush to the start pen. Most people were just standing casually around chatting with their friends. I decided to move as close to the front as possible so that I can finish the race quickly and leave the place. Along the way to the race site, I noticed quite a number of veteran runners so I guess the slower crowd will tend to walk.

Managed to station quite close to the Start line
A sea of pink behind me


I was surprised that I really managed to move right to the front of the crowd without much problem and I was surrounded by the elite runners like Mok Ying Rong and Vanja, it was a star struck moment for me again. After the race, I actually spotted myself in many photos and video that featured the crowd at the start line too. Haha...

Captured on camera with top runner Mok Ying Rong (Credits: Running Shots)

Of course, once the race started, the people standing around me were hundreds of metres ahead in an instant, and I knew I will only see them when they were already on the return leg and I'll still be running towards the U-turn point. I tried to run as fast as I could, with my calf screaming with pain initially due to the previous day's run. Even though its a short 5km race, I was worried that I'll worked myself too hard at the beginning, so I tried to pace myself even though the runners around me were all super fast.
Looking serious, 800m after the horn (Credits: Running Shots)
@1.5km point, concentrating hard (Credits: Running Shots)
Look at my feet, I'm floating! (Credits: Running Shots)
The first 1.5km were smooth and along the stretch leading up Marina Barrage, we got onto the bridge leading to the barrage and I could already see the fastest runners heading back towards me on the other lane, they were 1km ahead of me then. Awesome! I did not study the race route at all and I was hoping that we did not have to run up the huge slopes of MB, I remember that was the place which caused me to rest for weeks due to ITB last year. I was able to maintain the pace of 6.30min-6.40min till the slopes. I kept running up even though I've slowed a little and finally started to head back when I descended.

@3.5km after U turn point

Here I am! Last 300m to go! (Credits: Running Shots)
I didnt forget to pose and smile (Credits: Running Shots)
Getting nearer (Credits: Running Shots)
This is my favourite shot of all :) (Credits: Running Shots)


I guess I was still considered quite fast as majority of the crowd were still heading towards the slopes and there was only a single file runners after the U turn point. After the 4km point, the route deviated a little to the carpark and route behind, making one big loop before we finally headed back to the Start/Finish point.
Finished the race! 


I was glad that I was still able to pick up speed during the last 1km and ended the race with the overall pace of 6.32min/km, the fastest I had ever done. I also achieved a PB again for completing the 5km 10+ sec faster than last week's run.
Collection of medal was a breeze

The post race collection point was well spaced out, with the isotonic drinks/mineral water and medal collection point at different tentage along the path back. I felt that there were sufficient volunteers for the whole race so overall it was a good experience. I'm just wondering if I'll sign up again the next year as 5km is a really short distance for a race nowadays, and I need to collect the race pack/wake up early/travel to town just for that.
My favourite Milo van

Took a breather under the shade of Sheares Bridge

No comments: