Saturday, December 06, 2014

Race Review: Great Eastern Women's Run 2014

This race review is three weeks late, I was even considering if I should still do a review as the memories of the race is slowing fading away. In terms of race experience, this race beat all others hands down and its really one of the best race for any female runner to participate in annually. Just like last year, this race is my training run for SCMS'14, however, I was quite disappointed as I did not do as well in the race as I thought I should.
Maintaining a big smile for the picture moment

 The weather is not on our side as it was raining the few days before the run and I was dismayed that it was still raining when I woke up to make my way to the Float for the run. I reached early enough to deposit my baggage smoothly and visit the portable toilet (a must-do after my previous experience at ST run). I was surprised after I reached the start line at the Flyer, as I was one of the first few ladies lingering around, more than half an hour before the race flagged off. It was the first time I stationed before just behind the nylon rope held up by volunteers, and I was very excited. Alas, the rain became heavier as we waited for the race to flag off. I was glad that I always wear a cap to keep my fringe away and it helped to keep the rain away from my face as well. There was some ladies in ponchos and I thought it was a good move as they could throw away the disposable poncho later during the race. There was another category which was flagged off 3 min before us, the elites were invited to take part in it and it was an opportunity for me to take a good look at some of the fastest ladies around. I saw Mok Ying Rong, Lim Bao Ying (who also happened to be my NYNP junior), Rachel See etc. I also saw the familiar faces of the female pacers who I had been training with.

First time standing right behind the start line

After waiting in the drizzle for some time, we were finally off! Just then, a gal slipped and fell right in front of me and I hurried to help her up, but didnt get a chance to see if she was okay as the crowd was rushing off behind us. As I was right in front, I was given the chance to follow any of the pace group and that was when I made my first mistake. During Newton Challenge, my timing was about 2h35min at 21km so I actually could just follow the 2h 30min pacers to run into my PB, but I was too ambitious and thought that I should be able to make it even faster as the GE run is a shorter race than Newton Challenge. I gritted my teeth and followed the 2h 20min pacers instead, running behind them is tiring as I tried hard to keep up while their balloons kept flying into my face, blocking my view totally and even knocking my wind out. After awhile, I decided to keep a distance away and I felt much better when I relaxed and slowed into a more comfortable pace. I thought that I should still be able to make my PB as the 2h 30min pacers were still some distance behind me.
For some reason, this is my favourite picture, forgot where I got the pic from though >.<

Unfortunately, I had to pay the price for starting too fast too furious. Previously, I started having problems with ITB during my very first LSD run of 18km. After that, I got careful and try to land carefully whenever I feel the onset of it during my runs. The ground was slippery and wet during GE run and I realised that my right knee started to ache, I tried to reduce the pressure I put on my knees and feet but its hard as I was worried about slipping. Both my ankles were hurting too, so I slowed further, hoping that the pain will ease off. On top of that, my Nike iPod nano (borrowed from P) went bonkers and started to blast music into my ears, I had problem turning the volume down after sometime and gave up. Sigh, another Nike iPod nano retired...
Something new that I did for this run, waving or holding up my hands instead of making the 'peace sign' (courtesy of Running Kaki)


Along Kallang river and for most of the route, I could still see the pacers some distance behind me, but I was shocked when they suddenly appeared right behind me before we even hit the stretch leading to Marina Barrage. I even naively thought that this must be another group of pacers, maybe for the 10km race? I was really shocked and dismayed when they passed me but I could not speed up to catch up or follow them anymore.
Final stretch, about 1km-2km from finish line and I could no longer run or jog

At the long stretch of park pathways just before we crossed the bridge to Marina Barrage, I started to slow into a walk at some points. The rain had long stopped and I could hear the loud music from the event site roughly 5km away, but instead of feeling motivated, I slowed even more with that 'so near yet so far' feeling. I was still able to run up the huge spiral path to the top of the barrage and ran down to the final stretch at GBTB but my knee really gave way after that. It was really painful and I couldnt keep up with even a slow jog. Eventually, I finished at 2h 41min, strictly speaking still considered a PB but I was quite disappointed that my timing didnt improve much after all the long runs and training.
My knee really gave way after coming down from this giant slope (courtesy of eye-see eye-shoot)

I grabbed a Jewel ice cream and went back to the baggage deposit area to get my bag and meet up with my friend W. The selection of food post-run was still as good as the previous year but there were crowds of people in front of each stall unlike last year when there was hardly any queue (due to the rain). We tried queuing for Subway and hotdog but before we reached the front, the queue dispersed as they had ran out of food. We gave up eventually and went to Burger King to have breakfast with another friend of hers.


Even though the run was a disappointing experience for me, I must say that the organisers did a good job. Drinks were ample and its one of the rare times when the volunteers handed us the drinks/gels instead of just placing them on the table. Its also the only race that subscribe to Marathon photos for all runners and therefore I get a lot of good pictures for this run, which is a big plus point.

No comments: