Sunday, November 02, 2014

Fun Run @ Haw Par Villa 22nd October 2014

I didnt run much during the week as I had to give my legs plenty of rest for the upcoming Newton Chellenge, which is my first 32km race.

However, on Deepavali this year, Running Department organised a holiday run on a route that I have not tried out before and I'll probably will not get a chance to do it on my own, therefore I gladly joined them at 7am on a public holiday.

(Photo credit: Running Department)


This run reminded me a lot of my kayaking expeditions in the past. We run, gathered at a place and waited for people to catch up, take photos and off we went again! The holiday run was quite nostalgic to me in many ways, as we passed places that I was once so familiar with. We ran past Prince George Park, the hall I stayed in my final year when studying in NUS, I was calculating in my mind while running and realised that it had already been a decade ago! I can still fondly remember the fact that I was one of the first occupants at this newly built condo-like PGP back then.

(Photo credit: Running Department)

Other than that, we also ran to West Coast area and it was those places that we used to have our PeaceFamily gathering when I was still very into gaming. Seeing it in the daytime and running through it was quite a different experience for me.

The whole route is quite challenging as there was a lot of slopes and elevation being the Kent Ridge area, I was already perspiring hard after the first 4km or so. Luckily, there were a lot of runners that morning and it was quite okay for us to be running at different paces, thus I didnt have to worry about being left behind. We only did 11km in total but it felt longer than that to me as we ran in different terrains, I still didnt regret waking up early to complete this run as it made my Deepavali holiday a very meaningful one.

(Photo credit: Running Department)

For this run, I took my new Newton Boco Sol out for a trial and I immediately fall in love with Newton shoes. This is my first time running in a non Asics shoes and I wanted to try out something lighter with less support compared to Asics. The toes area is roomy and exactly what I needed as I have a wide feet. I chose the all terrain shoes as the saleslady mentioned that she felt that it is slightly heavier than normal Newton shoes and thus its perfect for me as I needed something more stable to slowly ease into Newton shoes after Asics. Newton shoes also tend to be quite colourful but they only have one colour combination for each model so I still chose the one that appeals to me most. There is this undulated part under the ball of the feet that pops out, this is iconic for Newton shoes as it helps to propel people forward and encourage runners to land on their forefeet. I took awhile to get used to it as I felt that I was constantly tipping forward and I had to navigate escalators carefully at first to prevent myself from falling forward ( I guess that will never happen, but I just have a feeling that I would fall). But anyway, I liked it so much that I was ready to wear it for Newton Challenge that weekend and I didnt regret it.
New shoes in Tiffany green! 

No comments: