Monday, October 13, 2014

The weekend

I ended the work week on a high note and was elated the whole of Friday evening, I even slept quite early as I didnt feel like doing anything after work. I woke up before 5am for my long run as I had to reach ECP by 6am. With the earliest train at 5.30am, I reckoned I'll be there a little late since my usual route to ECP is to take the train to Bishan and hop onto a cab from there, it'll just take 15-20min to reach ECP from Bishan and cost $10. The conversation between me and the cab uncle went like this..

Uncle: You going to work?
Me: Nope, I'm going ECP for a run.
Uncle: Huh? You're going so far just to run? Here no park meh?
Me:...

(Uncle even gave me a look which when he thought I was nuts, but it actually felt quite good to be considered a nutcase. Heh. )

When I reached the usual hut where the Running Department group leave their bags, they had already started running for 20 min, and I had to wait for them to finish the first loop before I joined them from thereon. This is my third time there but its just my second run with them as it was raining heavily when I reached the place three weeks back. It was really a bummer to travel so far to ECP and ended up not getting to run, even though the experienced runners still braved the rain, I was not used to that and did not want to do it with my new shoes on. I ended up going to the gym instead, thinking that it will be a double disappointment if I went home without any doing any run.

Anyway, back to my run at ECP yesterday, I was following the 5h 30min pacers again and somehow this time round I found it easier to keep to the pace (maybe the straight flat route at ECP made a difference) and I must say the pacers I was following are really nice and encouraging. I felt disappointed last week when I could only finish 15km at MBS but I managed to meet my target of 18km this week. I'm quite happy about it as the previous time I ran in ECP, I only did 9km. Its quite a milestone for me since 18km is also the longest distance I've ever ran without stopping, except for the short drinking breaks after every 3km.

Again, I found 100 plus so heavenly after a good run and I downed almost two bottles after the run. After failing to book a cab to get out from the place after the run, I tried my luck and found a way to get home using public transport. I walked to the nearest underpass and cross the highway to Amber Road, walked along the path and found a bus stop with buses that brought me to town (or other MRT stations).

Hope I can do more good runs after this. Good week ahead.

No comments: