Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Tokyo Trip Day 4 (Harajuku Part 2, Akihabara)

This day should be considered the rest day of our trip, or rather rest day for me while P is on his toys and shoes hunt.

The original plan was to visit Tokyo DisneySea, which should be the highlight of our trip. However, something cropped up after we woke up and we only left the hotel at 2.30pm. As the planner of the trip, I felt stressed and was really unwilling to have a change of plans, but considering the fact we will only reach DisneySea at almost 5pm, I decided that the trip will not be really worthwhile and decided that we should postpone our trip to Disney. We had a pact to leave the hotel really early the next day to make up for it.

After our previous trip to Harajuku, we realised that we need to make a trip back again as the omotesendo areas actually had some quaint little shops that we missed out. We went back and found those shops selling shoes and other cool stuff. I wondered why we walked a big round around Harajuku but ended up missing that area the previous time. While looking for shoes, we saw this old man with a pram full of fluffy cats. Why do they have all these cute little cats in Japan when we only see the non-furry ones in SG? There were other people who stopped to pet the cats or took some photographs.









I saw this huge Barbie shop in one of the small streets selling cutesy stuff, but I guess it will be quite costly, thus didnt stop to take a look.










And we found Eggs' n Things! I saw from other blogs that there's always a long queue outside this shop, but once again, we were there on a weekday afternoon, thus no queue at all! I thought that this is a good opportunity to try out the food there, since we happened to chance upon it when there's no queue. Further more, I had been looking for crepes ever since we stepped into Harajuku area. I really am a big fan of desserts!
We ordered the pancakes which was quite popular there, I saw everyone having those pancakes with heaps of whipped cream. I thought we would never finish those whipped cream but they went along quite well with the pancakes and the banana. These pancakes turned out to be quite filling and we only managed to finish two each. They provided three types of syrup for the pancakes: coconut, strawberry and maple syrup. We mostly used the traditional maple syrup with the pancakes as it tasted the best.








This was just meant to be tea break, and I could not decide if I should order the Eggs Benedict since the pancakes already looked like a huge pile. I saw good reviews and really wanted to try, so we had two big plates of pancakes+eggs benedict to finish up for our teabreak. I would say that the pancakes were not so bad, but nothing to shout about, and not worth a queue of more than 30min, the Eggs Benedict were also not as good as those I had tasted in US. I guess american breakfast is not common in Japan (or even SG), therefore the locals would queue up for hours for those.

The next stop is Akihabara, the electric town of Tokyo. I've heard so much about it from blogs, travel videos that I had to pay a visit even though I'm not interested in gadgets and games.

Sadly the place did not turn up to be as happening as we expected as most of the shops closed quite early unlike Shinjuku area. We were there around 8pm and could only witness the shops keeping their stores and pulling down their shutters. It was not a fruitful visit but we did see a lot of girls dressed up as maids and trying to get patrons into the maids cafe. Most of the passer-bys turned them down and usually the girls will appear impatient or grumpy if they were here in SG. However, in Japan, the standard of service was so good that the girls were still polite, sweet and friendly even though it must be tiring for them to stand on the streets till so late.

We returned to the hotel to rest early for our Disney trip the following day, still feeling full from our teabreak earlier, thus we skipped dinner.

No comments: