Saturday, August 26, 2006

Pluto no more?


Was reading 'my paper' on the streets today, and came across a interesting yet shocking news: The International Astronomical Union stripped Pluto of its official status as a planet.

My first reaction was 'huh???' ...Its rather shocking because I didn't know planets are like humans, can be promoted and demoted and stripped of its rank. Its also shocking because for the past 25 years of my life, there had always been 9 planets and now we have to get used to the fact that there's only 8.

Really, what will happen to 'My Very Efficient Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas', no more pizzas??

Being quite curious, I did a bit of research and here are some facts(no kidding):
1. Pluto was discovered in 1930.
2. It is smaller than any of the other 'official' planets.
3. Unlike other planets, it had been not visited by any spacecraft.
4. It is now classified as a dwarf planet instead of a planet due to new definations set by the IAU.

Oh yah, one last bit, this voting out of Pluto took place on 24th Aug 2006.. which was only 2 days ago. So if you read my blog, you're not outdated. =)

No comments: