Sunday, June 03, 2018

Japan Summer Trip 2018 Day 1 (2/6)

Five of us went for a successful glamping trip at Thailand Hintok camp last year, we felt that it was actually quite fun to do it as group so we have been planning the next trip eversince. We shortlisted places like Sri Lanka etc but chanced upon an article described a luxury glamping trip at Mt Fuji and everyone agreed immediately. Japan is my most loved destination so naturally I was so happy with the decision. Unfortunately, P felt that the trip is really expensive (near 1k SGD for two nights) and he decided that he will skip it this time. I was rather disappointed as I do not want to leave him at home as much as possible. But since there was no way of persuading him, I decided to go ahead with the rest. J also decided to join us this year so we still have 5 people in total.

The mandatory send off photo


New drop off booth for Changiwifi so we do not need to queue
We started planning the trip since January and had been eagerly counting down to it. We were also excited as most of us redeem our Krisflyer miles to take business class to Japan. This is my first business class experience and its on SQ! I felt so suaku but nevertheless took many photos. I wanted to go to the airport as early as possible to enjoy the lounge, but I only got out of the house around 1130am for the 2pm flight. Fortunately, there was no queue at the SQ business class counter, so I got to the lounge within 30 min of reaching the airport.

No queue collecting my wifi router and the JR pass exchange order

I deliberately went to airport earlier so that I can enjoy the lounge services which is free for all business class passengers. Who knows? This could be once in my lifetime experience so I seized the opportunity to maximise the experience. 

I looked out for the signage as the SKL was at a secluded corner
I was unsure of which lounge to go to, as there were several choices under Krisflyer. I passed a KrisFlyer Gold Lounge which looked really atas and I thought this much be catered for the higher tier passenger (E later told me that its the other way round), so I kept walking. I finally found the SKL further down, I was still doubtful if that was the one so I checked with the reception staff using my boarding pass.

Very nice entrance


Once I entered, there was clear signage to divide biz class and first class
I knew I was at the right place when I saw this sign. I think I was the only one taking photos but I decided to just be thick skinned about it. Lolx


Nice rest area, not too crowded and a lot of privacy


The atas local brand of TWG 

Sandwiches

Coffee machinese

I did not eat anything for breakfast and there was a good spread there, but I've started on a LCHF diet since the March hols so I have to be quite choosy with what I eat. I am not very strict on this keto diet so I still took the buffalo wings coated with some sauce, some salad, cheese and some fish/meat. If I were not on this diet, I guess I'll certainly try out those high carbs staples like mee goreng and beef noodles. Sigh..


Keto approved liquids


Thought for a long time if I should post this on my IG and I did

I spent an hour or so at the lounge and reached the gate when it was about to close. I did not get to enjoy the priority boarding as the passengers have already boarded when I reached the gate.


Very wide and spacious seat, although its a old and used aircraft
It felt really shiok to walk down a different passageway leading to the first class and business class seats. The rest of my companions on this trip was all excited and discussing about their business class travel so I already found out that the aircraft I was taking (777-300ER) was already old and almost phasing out. Nevertheless, I'm not too particular about it and still felt that it was really a good experience from beginning till end.


The seat was so wide that I was able to sit with the two pillows
The rims and finishings were old and not so high-tech like the newer aircrafts but the seat is certainly wider. It was spacious enough that for the first time, I could not reach the bag stowed in front of me when I was strapped up for takeoff.

The amenities
Even the toilets of the business class passengers were more spacious and there was nice linen cloth provided to wipe our hands etc. When I walked to the toilet, I saw slippers, socks and eye masks on the seat in front of me and realised that I went to the wrong seat (19K) in my excitement. The cabin crew looked confused when she checked the list but she did not ask or say anything. As the business class seats were quite empty, they only prepared amenities for those seats that were taken up. 

Can stretch my legs and lie flat although the angle was not exactly comfortable

These sound proof headsets are really good, blocked out most of the engine noise

20 min after takeoff, our lunch was served. After I managed to redeem this flight using miles, I went online and chose the book-the-cook option (Lobster Thermidor) under E recommendation. I flipped through the menu and thought the standard kaiseki lunch also looked quite good. After trying the lobster and it was not really to my liking, I regretted a little. I still enjoyed the meal as the service was really good and it was a 4 course lunch and not just a standard set flight meal.


Appetizer tasted good, there was table cloth and proper cutlery



The main course

Green tea tiramisu, too sweet for my liking so I only ate half
I love, love, love cheese after started on the keto diet

I had a really bad experience flying back from San Francisco on my previous SQ flight as I was having diarrhoea for most of the flight and went to the toilet many many times. I did not watch any movies at all as the whole flight was a torture. On top of that, I felt that the IFE during that month of December 2017 was also not too fantastic. This time round there were many movies I wanted to watch. I finished the two local production (Wayang Kids/ Wonder Boys) listed in KrisWorld and really enjoyed both movies, I'm glad that SQ always have a good range of movies and not just blockbusters. I slept for the remaining two hours and soon it was time to land in Tokyo.

Keikyu Ex Inn Haneda Airport

When we reached Tokyo airport, there were a lot of flights landing around 10pm so it took sometime for the aircraft to finally land and came to a standstill. We already realised that it was going to be quite late so E mentioned that he will just stay at a hotel near the airport and I decided to follow suit since our next hotel will also be the same one. I had considered staying at a capsule hotel just for the experience but eventually decided against it since the one at Haneda Airport was already full for ladies and I didnt want to travel to the city just for a few hours sleep.


My room was right next to the lift (after the store) and it was good for me
On the airport shuttle
E took a transit flight so that he could try out both SQ and TG business class. His colleague and I were on the same flight, he waited for us for almost an hour but luckily we were all on priority for disembarkation and retrieval of our luggage, so we managed to catch the free hotel shuttle bus from the airport at 1045pm.


Good idea to maximise space instead of building a cupboard

Bed looked inviting and comfortable

Cute little sofa and table

Just outside the hotel

Just outside the hotel
It only took 5 to 10 min for the airport shuttle to reach our hotel and the hotel was just down the road from the airport, serving people having an early flight out of Haneda or a late flight into Tokyo like us. I guess most people do not stay for more than a night so the room is really simple, but very Japanese style and its part of what I loved about Japan. There was a Family Mart just down the street so we met at the lift lobby to walk there together after putting down our luggages in the room.

Egg, pickles and salad
Finished all these right after I showered
I always enjoy Japan onigiri and mochi from the convenience stores, but now that I'm on the keto diet, my choices are so different. I'm still glad that there were many keto compliant food available here in Japan (close one eye to the hidden sugar in pickles and the sauce we add to the nice onsen egg). I always have a weight gain after a trip due to all the carbs indulgence so I hope this time it'll be better.

Very nice area at the breakfast lounge

A range of food from 7-11

The only thing I did not like about the hotel was the small pillow given. It was already very late (2am+) when I finished my shower and updated my blog so I did not bother to call the reception for another pillow. I managed to fall asleep after awhile, as I was still feeling quite awake after the flight. I woke up the sunlight streaming in at 6am and realised I forgot to turn on my alarm for breakfast at 8am. I went back to sleep and woke up with a shock again, and it was already 7.53am. I did not realise I turned on a weekday alarm instead, and its only Sunday here. It was still early after I changed and went down for breakfast, as I only realised E & friend mentioned 8+ for breakfast and not 8am. Phew.


Western style (photo from hotel website)

Japanese style (photo from hotel website)
Unlike most hotels, there were only two set choices for breakfast here. I chose the Japanese set as its more keto friendly, I should not touch the rice and the carrots in the soup but I ate a few mouth of the rice since it goes well with the miso soup. Opps! Breakfast was simple but not too bad. One plus point of this hotel was that the soundproofing is superb, we expected to hear sound of planes taking off and landing during the night but there was none.

No comments: